11+ Grammar School Exam Revision Course Workshop
Grammar School entrance exam season is nearly here
Is your child currently in Year 5 and age 10 or 11 and will they be taking a school entrance exam in their Autumn Year 6 term in a few weeks time?
Are you concerned they might not be fully prepared to deliver their best attempt on the actual test days?
I’m sure your child both wants to do their best in their exams, and will try to do their best, but could they do better?
How much could their results be improved if they received additional guidance on how to interpret and answer their test questions better?
Or perhaps they’ve been achieving good practice scores, either at home or with tutors, but you’d like to ensure they can apply themselves fully and bring their A-game to the task in hand.
If so then they’ll benefit from attending our five day summer exam workshops, held conveniently online.
Whatever the government or your local authority or the schools themselves suggest, knowing HOW to quickly interpret and answer any type of exam is a coachable skill.
Which school types would this help to prepare for?
Many schools use exams which include Non-Verbal Reasoning and Verbal Reasoning papers in order to select which candidates will be deemed to ‘pass’ or to receive an offer of a place.
Broadly this includes the following school types, however, please contact us if you are unsure as to the exam entry requirements for your preferred school and we will confirm this for you.
Entry to the following school types supported
- Grammar Schools
- Bilateral Schools
- Partially Selective Schools
- Private, Independent Schools and Public Schools including scholarship entrance exams
Each course runs for 5 days from 9:30 – 1:00 (with short breaks)
Classes are limited to no more than 6 participants to maximise involvement and support
Days 1-4 include:
- Daily key words spelling test
- Review of Verbal Reasoning (VR) question types and how to approach them
- Work on VR (& relevant maths) skills
- Review of Non-Verbal Reasoning (NVR) question types and how to approach them
- Work on NVR skills
- Individually marked papers
- Review of results from each test and guidance to improve scores
- Exam technique
- Confidence & Motivation
Your child will have two papers to complete each day (we will begin working on them during the morning) that you would need to return to us by email that evening for marking and feedback.
Day 5 will focus on a recap of what’s been covered followed by a VR and NVR paper sat at home but in exam conditions.
That would also be returned to us for marking and we’ll provide results and feedback along with any areas that might best be focused upon.
Who is this for?
As you will appreciate attendees will be covering quite a lot at a fast pace and to gain the most from the course children will need stay focused, so it’s really best suited to those who’ve already carried out some exam preparation.
This could have been either at home with parents, online, or with other tutors.
In addition, capable last-minute newbies who’ve not yet looked at an 11+ paper will benefit too since it’ll prepare them for the actual exams.
Contact us if you’d like to discuss suitability for your child.
Early bird pricing available – ask for details.
Key benefits for children who attend
- Increased vocabulary
- Improved word manipulation and analysis
- Enhanced confidence across a range of VR and NVR question types
- Identification of weak points with suggested ways to improve
- Improved exam technique, timing and planning skills
- Learn in a small class size
- Safe environment to say ‘I don’t know’ and be shown how to work things out
- Each week will cover identical material on Verbal Reasoning (including relevant maths skills), Non-Verbal Reasoning and Spatial Reasoning, therefore whichever week you select for your child will provide equal benefit.
- The question format will be more GL focused although those preparing for CEM or CSSE papers will benefit too.
- The Verbal Reasoning component will help candidates due to sit an English or a Comprehension paper.
- The workshops will not be focusing upon the Maths, Creative Writing or Extended writing papers.
|Mon 16th Aug||Fri 21st Aug||Few||VR, NVR & Spelling|
Make a reservation / ask a question
If you would like to check availability or wish to confirm any course details you can contact us here.
Alternative courses for Year 3 or 4 students
The above detailed course is designed for pupils who will be taking school entrance exams not long after attending and therefore all will have completed their year 5 schooling.
We do hold separate courses during the year for those children in year 4 or at the start of year 5. Contact us if you would like further details about these.
One to one online tutoring
We also provide bespoke online one-to-one tutoring to support parents who wish to provide their children with the best 11+, GCSE Maths and GCSE English tutoring.
This includes each of the specific papers that are tested including
- Verbal Reasoning
- Non-Verbal Reasoning & Spatial Reasoning
Depending upon your child’s age when you’re accessing these pages and your child’s 11+ preparation to date this might be a more appropriate alternative option, or perhaps one of our early start courses.
You’ll find more information about our tutoring services here and you can send us an enquiry using the button below.